Research has shown that your eyes can benefit from nutrients such as lutein and zeaxanthin as well as Vitamins A, C and E. Taking eye vitamins that contain these and other nutrients is an easy way to help keep your vision crisp and your eyes healthy. We stock a wide range of different supplements, so if you’re looking to buy eye vitamins online you’re sure to find the right ones for you.
Types of eye vitamins
There are a variety of different ocular vitamins and supplements available to help boost your eye health. They do this by preventing eye conditions caused by gradual degeneration and helping to keep your vision clear and accurate.
When choosing a multivitamin or supplement, the best thing to consider is whether it contains the nutrients best suited for helping your eyes to stay healthy. Look out for the following:
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene: Can help to improve visual acuity in dark conditions.
- Vitamin B: Helps to prevent vascular problems which can affect the retina. May also play a role in reducing the risk of macular degeneration.
- Vitamin C: As a powerful antioxidant, it can reduce the likelihood of cataracts.
- Vitamin D: A common vitamin that many people appear to be deficient in, vitamin D has been shown to help prevent the negative effects of macular degeneration.
- Vitamin E: Associated with a reduced risk of cataracts.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: Carotenoids and macular pigments that have been found to offer a defence against macular degeneration.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids: great for reducing dry eyes, these vitamins help to keep your eyes feeling comfortable and working to their full potential.
- Bioflavonoids: These help the body absorb vitamin C so that the benefits of antioxidants are even more effective.
What are the benefits of using eye vitamins
While your vision may not necessarily improve from taking ocular vitamins, using them can help to stave off degenerative conditions that could impact your sight long-term. Age-related macular degeneration causes your central vision to deteriorate, making reading more difficult and colours less vibrant amongst other things. Ensuring that your eyes get enough of key nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin gives them layer of defence against this condition.
Another condition that eye vitamins can help to prevent is the development of cataracts. These can occur when changes in the shape of the lens of your eye makes it less transparent. This causes cloudy or misty vision, but studies have shown that a healthy intake of vitamins C and E can help to prevent the onset of cataracts.
In addition to preventing these and other conditions, a regular intake of nutrients helps to keep your eyes comfortable. Omega-3 acids that are found in fish often come in supplement form and are brilliant for preventing your eyes from becoming dry or irritated as well as decreasing the risk of high eye pressure and glaucoma.
Our most popular eye vitamins
These supplements are rich in vitamins C & E as well as the mineral zinc and are recommended for those who already have vision problems. They’re also particularly useful for those aged between 40 and 60 to help prevent eye conditions.
From optical specialists Bausch & Lomb come these supplements designed to support healthy eyesight later in life. They contain a combination of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients including vitamins A & E, beta carotene and zinc.
This 60-pack of supplements is packed full of nutrients that are perfect for keeping your eyes healthy and your vision sharp. Each once-a-day gel contains lutein, which works to protect your eyes from macular degeneration, Zeaxanthin, which helps to maintain clear and sharp vision, and Omega- 3 for comfortable eyes.
If you need any advice about how to buy your contact lenses or solution online, we’re here to assist you via web chat, phone or email. Got a question about ordering from Vision Direct? Check out our handy how to guides.