As families across the country embrace the COVID-19 lockdown, people are getting creative with fun activities for children (and adults alike) you can do at home. From puzzles to drawing and at-home workouts: you'll need a wide range of tricks up your sleeve to ensure that you all stay occupied. We have just the thing: homemade slime!
If you have young children you're probably familiar with slime, that sticky green goo jumping around in Flubber. Over the past few years, the internet (and especially YouTube) has been obsessed with all things slime: making slime, stretching slime and getting messy with slime.
So, why not join in on the slime fun? Making slime at home ticks all the boxes: it gives the kids (and yourself) a breather from screens, it's easy to make, provides you with endless hours of fun and above all, you get to spend some quality time together as a family. And contact lens wearers have an advantage here, as chances are one of the main ingredients you'll need is already in your medicine cabinet.
Materials to make contact lens solution slime
There are several ways to make homemade slime - but the most popular is the method that uses contact lens solution. Why? Because contact lens solution usually includes boric acid, this is what adds that satisfying stretchy and squishy texture. So when choosing a contact lens solution for slime, ensure you pick a product including boric acid.
Here are the ingredients to make homemade slime:
- 120ml of PVA glue (½ cup)
- ½ Tbsp of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup of shaving cream (not gel)
- 1 Tbsp of contact lens solution (remember, one with boric acid, like Renu MPS)
- Food colouring (optional if you want to make coloured slime)
- Glitter (optional if you want to make it shine!)
Steps to make slime contact lens solution
- Use a big bowl to mix all ingredients thoroughly
- Pour the 120ml of glue in the container. Add 2 Tbsp of water and stir with a spoon or spatula
- Add the shaving cream and stir again
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir
- Add the food colouring and glitter. You can add them gradually and stir several times until you get the desired consistency
- Now add the contact lens solution. Add slowly whilst you continue to stir. Check the consistency, too much and the slime won't be elastic
- As the slime becomes less liquid, take it out of the bowl and knead it with your hands. If you feel it still sticks too much to your hands, add a bit more of solution.
- Knead, knead, knead… TIME TO PLAY!
Your slime with contact lens solution is ready! Feel free to experiment with different amounts for different textures: for example, adding less shaving cream so the result is less fluffy, adding different or multiple colours, tweaking the amount of solution…the world is your slime oyster!
Remember an adult must supervise children at every step of the slime making process. Wash your hands properly both before and after making or playing with the slime. If you feel irritation on your skin, stop the process immediately and wash your hands thoroughly with soap.
Try everclear REFRESH All In One Solution
A multi-purpose solution, with a gentle and natural formula, everclear REFRESH All In One Solution is an ultra-effective way to clean and disinfect all types of soft contact lenses, including silicone hydrogel lenses.
Suitable for wearers with sensitive eyes, this solution swiftly removes harmful bacteria, protein build-us and germs from the surface of your lenses, preventing eye infections and discomfort. Each 250ml bottle is designed to allow an accurate dosage and comes with a nifty lens case for safe and secure storage.
Discover everclear REFRESH